Sunday, March 8, 2009

Container Workshop Supplement

I want to thank everyone who showed up for my container workshop on Saturday. I hope everyone got a few good ideas. The next few blog entries will have to do with container planting. Post a comment and let me know what you think.

Please visit this Proven Winners page for many container recipes as well. It is a wealth of information.

The container to the left is one that I did for the Savannah Garden Expo last year. I like it because of the contrast that has without a single bloom! I also dyed whole pecans with blue food coloring.

Plant list: Scottish Moss, Irish Moss, Red Dragon Coleus, Feather Grass, and Sedge
Light-full to part sun

Caladium bulbs are available now, and they make a dramatic statement in containers. Red varieties will take more sun. In a shade container they would work well with Impatiens, Persian Shield, or Creeping Jenny. Plant the bulbs with your favorites that are available and watch them show up to the party a little later.


You don't have to have a lot of plants to make a really big impression. Remember how I spoke about Fairy Gardens?
In this container someone has given them not just a bench, but a whole house. You can make this type of an arrangement with a birdhouse, child's old toy, or even old Christmas ornaments.

No comments: