Friday, March 20, 2009

On the first day of Spring Hester & Zipperer gave to me...

It actually feels like we work at a plant nursery again. On Thursday morning we received a truck load of plants from Monrovia. An hour before the store was to open we were lightening the load of a tractor trailer full of killer plants. Mary-Ann calls us her A-Team.


"I thought the loud popping I heard was my back,
but it turned out to be Travis's Gun Show."
-
Christine Lucas

For the first time since I've been at Hester & Zipperer, we've gotten Prickly Pears! Imagine a cactus like this, at its mature 6ft stature, sporting vibrant yellow blooms in Spring. Right after planting it, you can begin writing your memoir, "Why All Of My Neighbors Are Jealous Of My Cool Yard." Dare to be different, but don't dare place it where its spines will jab you in the shin. I pulled one out of my jeans, and my leg, when I got home from work.

"Texture calling on line 2. Are you available?"

You may have seen Foxtail/Ponytail Ferns before, but the ones we just got it must have been juicing up with AROD. They are bigger than Brad and Angie, and only slightly less beautiful. Getting one will make you instantly a better person, or my name is Mrs. Hugh Laurie. Okay, it's not.




I am not saying that you're a loser if you don't buy one of the few Jacobinias that we have left. I'm simply saying that you are a loser if you don't buy it.


This shade-loving perennial will grow two to four feet tall and about three feet wide. It works well in containers, and would look like a million dollars next to Persian Shield.

Citrus Is Here - some of it anyway.

We have Limes, Improved Meyer Lemons, and Kumquats. Remember those delicious preserved lemons we mentioned a few posts back? Mmmmm.

Do you have excellent citrus recipes we should know about?
Email us at: hesterandzipperer@hotmail.com


No comments: